On March 3rd, Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced that is surpassed $1 BILLION in funding pledges. That’s $1,000,000,000 in funding for entrepreneurs.
Very interestingly, Kickstarter included lots of interesting statistics on these crowdfundings as follows:
- 5.7 million people funded these projects (versus less than 1,000 active venture capital firms worldwide)
- More than half of the $1 billion was pledged in the last 12 months alone
- The 5,708,578 people who have backed a Kickstarter project represent 224 countries and territories, and all seven continents
- These are the top Countries & Territories by dollars raised:
- United States: $663,316,496
- United Kingdom: $54,427,475
- Canada: $44,913,678
- Australia: $31,776,566
- Germany: $21,607,047
- France: $10,131,159
- Sweden: $7,150,257
- Japan: $7,139,419
- Netherlands: $7,033,026
- Singapore: $6,710,981
- 1,689,979 people have backed/funded MORE than one project
- 15,932 people have backed/funded more than 50 projects
- $619 million has been pledged by returning backers
Those are some very impressive numbers. And they ONLY represent one Crowdfunding platform. If we start adding other platforms, like IndieGogo, RocketHub, etc., the amount of Crowdfunding dollars raised and the number of backers skyrockets further.
And, perhaps most importantly, the trend for entrepreneurs is extremely positive as Crowdfunding is growing rapidly. Recall what I wrote above -- “more than half of the $1 billion was pledged in the last 12 months alone.” Now consider that Kickstarter launched on April 28, 2009.
That means that from April 28, 2009 to March 2, 2013, a nearly 4 year period, a half-billion dollars was raised on Kickstarter. They then raised the same amount in just the last year.
The fact remains that Crowdfunding is here, is here to stay, and is only growing. This is truly a blessing for entrepreneurs and is probably making right now the best time in history to raise money for any company. So, if you need funding, what are you waiting for?