Medtronic. Cardinal Health. Guidant. Becton, Dickinson. St. Jude Medical. Hospira. Fresenius. Varian Medical.
All of these medical device manufacturers had greater than ONE BILLION DOLLARS in sales last year.
Sector Funding Activity Remains Strong
While overall venture investment is down substantially, funding in the medical device sector remains strong.
For the fourth quarter of 2009, venture capital investments into medical device companies increased 13 percent in dollars and 18 percent in deals (quarter over quarter), with over $719 million in fresh capital invested into 87 deals.
Amazingly, investments in biotechnology and medical device companies accounted for 34 percent of all venture capital dollars invested in 2009.
Merger and Acquisition Activity Also Vibrant
Are there exits happening in the sector - even in this tough economy? You bet your life there is.
Sector merger and acquisition activity leaped by 154% in the third quarter of 2009 to $5.6 billion, and the trend-line for 2010 is strong.
Some sample 2009 deals:
* Danahers acquiring Analytical Technologies for $650 million
* Thermo Fisher acquiring B.R.A.H.M.S. for $470 million
* Abbott Laboratories acquiring Evalve for $410 million
* Nipro Corp acquiring Home Diagnostics for $190 million
* Quidel Corp. acquiring Diagnostic HYBRIDS for $130 million
Who Will Be Next?